Wednesday 19 February 2014

Day 17 of the 30 Day Blogging Challenge

Day 17: What is the thing you wish you were most good at?

There are a lot of things I am not good at. I have so many flaws - they're uncountable. I'm terrible at PE, average at maths and let's not bring my eyesight into this. There's also my "singing" *ehem* and my piano abilities.

But the one thing I feel most inadequate at? Karate. I didn't want to sign up, but my mum made me do it so I would get out of the house and out of her hair. I was forced into doing karate against my will - I thought I might start to like it, but my instructor was not very pleasant to me. My sister, being the perfect little angel she is, immediately got the hang of everything while I stood there trying not to trip over my own feet or punch myself in the face while tying my belt.

And so my journey began - one training session every week on Mondays. My sister seemed to pass every inspection from Shehan (the head instructor) with flying colours, while I got frowned at for not knowing where exactly to position my hands. The worst part? My sister is younger than me, so Shehan was even more disappointed in me.

I've started to get the hang of karate now - I can tie my belt without hitting myself by accident, I have memorized routines that we need to know and I have mastered most punches and kicks. But to me, it's not knowing what to do or being good that counts, it's the lesson or moral behind it. Moral of this story? Don't judge somebody based on what others can do.

1 comment:

  1. " I can tie my belt without hitting myself by accident, " Ha! You're funny. Love seeing this side of you outside of class.

    ReplyDelete